Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Glorious Rain

We've had rain!  Two days in a row, our neighboring towns had heavy rain, and we had a few drops.  Then on the third day, we had rain for about half an hour.  The pastures are less crunchy.  Happy dance!  We even had enough rain to bring out a special visitor.  On the evening of our rain, I went down to the barn for bed check.  I left the porch light on, and when I walked back to the house, this spadefoot toad had come to the light to feast on the bugs the light drew.  I know toads and frogs are common, but in this arid country, it's rare to see one.



Spadefoot toads are pretty interesting.  See that long toe on the hind leg?  They use those toes to burrow backwards into the ground in a twisting motion, like putting out a cigarette.  They live underground, and only come to the surface when it rains.  Normally, they live up to 10 months of the year underground, but they've been recorded staying underground for all but 2 weeks.  Looks like ours had quite the feast on his visit.

10 comments:

sonia a. mascaro said...

I am glad to hear that you had rain. Just great!
Just amazing that the toads live underground, and only come to the surface when it rains.

Texan said...

I am happy for you that you got some rain! I was just discussing you with honeyman today. He took the day off, we had dentist appointments in the big city. I am glad you got rain and I hope are safe from the fires.

Our big very furry child is doing wonderful! Such a find :O). My heart is running over because of him :O)

Jim said...

Sure does! Look at that gut! We haven't seen a toad in a while/a few years here. Wonder what's up?
Love the rain, especially when we need it!

Alison said...

Congrats on the rain! We too have finally broken a two-week streak of 100+ days without rain.

There was a toad that lived at the back door of the house I grew up in. That's something we don't have here; I bet if I went out and found one, he'd do quite well in our shaded mint bed. Wonder if they eat snails...

in2paints said...

It's nice to hear about folks getting rain... it has been so hot and dry everywhere!

I love toads! Frogs kind of creep me out, but toads are so cute!

Dreaming said...

It never ceases to amaze me how the grass can grow supple again after a bit of rain.
I love your toad. We used to have a lot around our home in SC - I do miss them. I've only seen one or two since we've moved

jenj said...

Hooray rain! Like you we have been hoping for something... ANYTHING. So glad you finally got some!

Love your visitor! He looks like he fed very well on all the buggies!

JJ said...

Yay for rain!!! Did you do your rain dance?

That toad looks fat and sassy. I'm sure he was elated to be able to pop out for a bite or two ;).

Once Upon an Equine said...

I'm ready for more of that rain. It's getting dry again. That is a big toad you have visiting. I love seeing the toads. I have to watch my step when I go to the barn at night now. But I don't think I've seen a toad like yours. Mine aren't so big, but I'll look more closely for that toe. I've always wondered where they are coming from since we don't have a pond or standing water on our property. Maybe they are living under our drainage culvert between our house and barn.

allhorsestuff said...

OH YEA!! That is why your air and sky's look so good...RAIN!!
Glad you got it Terry.

That toad is amazing. REALLY? Underground. WOW. I enjoyed getting to know my froggy info here today. Yes, he did look rather fat and satisfied after his munching.

KK