Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

We Have a Winner!

Flartus guessed it.  It's a tool to measure for Ben's collar.


Just like humans, horses can be the same weight and height, but different sizes.  Boomer and Ben are both 18.2 hands and 2,000+ pounds, but Boomer's collar is too small for Ben. 

The fit of a driving horse's collar is just as important as the fit of a riding horse's saddle.  The collar distributes the load of the vehicle around the horse's neck and shoulders (loosely stolen from Wikipedia).


6 comments:

Alison said...

Yay! I couldn't have done it without Lori's brilliant leap, though. (And if you're wondering why I'm able to comment so much...I'm supposed to be lesson-planning!) :P

in2paints said...

Interesting! I had no idea such a thing existed!

Texan said...

That would be a XXXXL collar :O) I am guessing tee hee

Dreaming said...

Where have I been? I missed all of the posts about the measuring device! Even though I have collars for the boys I probably wouldn't have guessed what it was. They were measured by a carriage driver using a variety of collars that he had.

Jim said...

Congratulations to Flartus!
I really have to 'hit' the horse books!

fromsophiesview said...

So much to learn...my Dads are so unhorsey...no excuse...us 4 leggers Ben shall stick together!