Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Photos

There are lots of blogs with great photographs.  Mine isn't one of them.  Some of the blog photographers I admire are Jim at Ocean Breezes (fantastic photos of the ocean, plants, etc.), Ron at From Sophie's View (beautiful photos of the charming Labradoddle as she explores the ocean, etc.) and Kacey at All Horse Stuff.  Kacey's photographs invite you along on her ride with Washashe Mare.  Even if you aren't a horse person (gasp!) you will be drawn into her world as she explores the Oregon trails. 

I want to be a better photographer.  Today I tried to copy Kacey's masterful between-the-ears shot while Jan and I rode.  Just go to Kacey's blog and look at my inspiration. 
Alas, here's what I got -
What I like about it is the subject.
It's two old friends on two nice horses.
Jan and Elvis look lovely.
What I don't like is that you can barely see them,
and Lakota has his ears back.

The rider in me
catches my reflection as I take the picture, and I think
why am I sitting totally crooked on Lakota,
listing to the right?

What I like about this photo is
the smile on Jan's face
and Elvis' relaxation on a loose rein
after a job well done.

14 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh, I wish I could take pictures like Jim and Ron, but I have a $160 point and shoot camera and it isn't going to do those shots. If you have a whiz-bang camera, like theirs, take a class maybe?

Wish I could help you, but you have seen my pictures and they are nothing to write home about.

Have a good night!

Louise said...

But, your pictures have captured, very well, the partnership between Jan and Elvis. That last picture, with both of them totally relaxed yet still engaged and active, is worth looking at again and again.

Verde Farm said...

I know what you mean-I so envy the photographers out there in blog land but I think your pictures are still wonderful and it looks like a wonderful day :)

Lori Skoog said...

Terry...Your pictures have always been great. That is some indoor! Is it yours?

word verification is subtle....

Terry said...

You guys are too kind. But you know what I mean about the great photographers out there. They inspire.

Lori, that arena could be mine only in my wildest dream!

Tracey said...

Brilliant photographs! I too wish I were as clever as Jim & Ron, but It will never happen! xxx

Janet said...

Love the photographs-all I can think is -I wish my seat is as good as Jans-poetry in motion !

Alison said...

We always envy somebody else...I'd love to have such beautiful animals as subjects! My best secret to getting a good shot is to take a helluva lot of pictures and delete the bad ones. lol!

Jim said...

Terry, I wish I knew as much about horses as you do! And I wish I could ride a horse and not be petrified of the critter!
These photos are good and they showed us what you want to portray. I am not patronizing you here either. The more you do something, anything, the better one gets. Hear that Tracey!?
Thanks for the compliments.....we are both a little embarrassed!

fromsophiesview said...

You are a sweetheart for sure. My dad's just plain love their cameras just about as much as they loves me. Ron still needs instruction on taking certain kinds of shots and now since Jim has a new camera he's teaching him. That only means...MORE pics of MOI(ME)!
Your photos are just fine to me...I actually know what a horse is now...just teasing!

in2paints said...

I think you have taken some lovely photographs!! The sunset ones are usually quite breathtaking!

By the way, you have an award waiting at my blog! :)

OnTheBit said...

You have been awarded the "Stylish Blogger Award". Please come by my blog (www.ahorseandahalf.com) to pick it up.

Mare said...

Several people have beaten me to it, but then again you should be flattered...lol You're blog is a great read, so there is also an award for you on my blog:)

~ Tom said...

We always enjoy and appreciate your great photos Terry! And it's not your seat that's crooked, it's the mirror. Enlarge your photo, check out the edges, and you'll see what I mean.

Love!
~ Tom