Thursday, November 6, 2014

My Bionic Eye

On Tuesday I had cataract surgery on my right eye.  Yep, I'm old, and I've spent a lot of my life in the sun.  Anyway, they removed my old dingy yellow lens which I could barely see through, and replaced it with a bright and shiny intraocular lens.  Sound scary?  Well, I was a bundle of nerves leading up to the surgery.  But the surgery was a smashing success.  And once I got over myself, it was really interesting.  

Skip this next part if you, like me, are scared of all things even remotely medical.  Jim, this means you!!!

Did you know that you are conscious for the surgery?  They give you anesthesia in the pre-op room while they prep your eye for surgery.  After a short "nap", they take you into the operating room.  That was the interesting part.  My doctor had quite loud classical music playing, which I thought was really cool.  They completely covered my face, and then cut out the eye portion of the covering.  My doctor talked to me throughout the "procedure".  I couldn't see the instruments, but I could see his surgical loupes in a dreamy fuzzy way, and the bright overhead light.  Between my doctor's great bedside manner (he said I was a trooper.  Me, Miss Scaredy Pants!), the great music and good drugs, I felt calm.

Okay resume reading.  Jim, it's safe to come back now!

 It was over and done with and we were home in a flash.  Yesterday David drove me in for my first check up.  20/30 in the bionic eye, 24 hours after surgery, with the pupil still somewhat dilated!  This was a better-than expected result for the first 24 hours!  Yippee!  And the colors!  Everything is so much brighter and lighter!  I knew I wasn't seeing well out of that eye, but I had no idea how dingy colors had become.  I am delighted.

Now for the temporary downside.  My eyes are not talking to each other very well just yet.  Yesterday I felt miserably car sick on the way to the appointment.  I couldn't see out of the bionic eye with my glasses on, and I couldn't see out of the other eye with my glasses off!  My doctor suggested popping the lens out on the bionic side.  Duh, me!  That worked like a charm!  It took about 24 hours to adjust, but now my distance vision is as sharp as can be.  Intermediate and close up, still a problem.  I poured my tea onto the counter this morning instead of into my cup!  Oops!  And I can only see to type this by closing the bionic eye.  Believe me, that gets tiresome in a hurry!  Which is why I will be a very haphazard blogger over the next 3 weeks.  Yes, 3 weeks!  That's the full recovery time!  Drat!

But the biggest downside?  I'm on barn restriction due to the dust.  Little does my doctor know that my barn is actually cleaner than my house!  But I will be good.  Oh how I miss this -

photo by Susan Quirk

I will be getting my horsey fix by watching the US Dressage Finals live online from Lexington Ky.  With one eye.  Friend Jan's horse Lakota competes Friday morning with Shannon riding.  Kathy Priest, whom I bought Paj from at 22 months of age, shows Friday night in the Grand Prix Open.  To watch along, click here.  Coverage starts live, tomorrow morning.  Jan has been sending me phone photos from Lexington, which has gone a long way toward making me feel included.  

enter at A

photos by Jan Wingate

Best of luck to Lakota, Shannon and Jan
I've typed this in fits and starts, and now I deserve a nap.  Goodnight all.



Inger said...

That is the cleanest stable I have EVER seem! I'm glad you wrote about this because I will need to have it done, "whenever you get fed up with not seeing well" said the eye doc. I was amazed when he explained the procedure to me, I had no idea. I hope you will feel better soon and I know this was such a good thing for you to have done, that's clear already. All the best, Terry.

Fundy Blue said...

Some horses have it made in spades!!!!! I'm sorry that you are going through this, Terry. Three weeks is tough, but look at the upside ~ vibrant colors everywhere! My turn is coming in the not too distant future. Put your feet up and enjoy those horse competitions. Take care!

Cricket said...

Hope your eye feels great soon, and your vision distortion doesn't give you headaches.

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Your eagle eye will now allow you to know immediately if a speck of dust dares to invade your sparkling barn. ;D

Glad you're on the upswing now. Seems like anticipating something like surgery is often worse than the experience itself.

Lori Skoog said...

Hey Terry, I'll bet you are going to cruise through this recovery. Of course your barn is spotless...I have never seen it any other way. Thanks for the tip about the dressage live...I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Dreaming said...

I remember how incredulous my parents were when they had cataract surgery and discovered how terribly their vision had become over the years. I bet, as soon as your eyes work better together, that things will be fantastic.
Thanks for the link to the dressage. I will check out the schedule and see if I can't watch some of it, too. I love seeing it. Poetry in motion, as they say!
Best to you for a speedy recovery.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Good morning Terry!! I am so happy that the surgery was a success. Very thankful for you, my friend. Have a great weekend :)

in2paints said...

Sounds very scary! I've been thinking about LASIK but I can't bring myself to do it, especially since it's an elective surgery. Sounds like your surgery was necessary, though, and I'm so happy you'll be good as new in 3 weeks!

baystatebrumby said...

Your barn is cleaner than your house! Now that is a hoot!

Jim said...

Thanks Terry for the heads up! But I must confess, I read all of it!! From the outside looking in isn't as bad as being right there! Correct? You were indeed a trooper throughout the whole procedure.
Now to get the eyes to cooperate....soon you will be enjoying things that maybe you haven't seen accurately for a while. Take care.

Leeshh said...

It's so amazing what science and medicine can do!
Here's to a quick recovery so you can get back to the important stuff- barn time.

KateRose said...

I enjoyed the medical stuff! Hope your fancy bionic eye is ready to hit the barn soon :)

Kay G. said...

You couldn't come to my house, it is the DUSTIEST house in the world!
Speedy recovery for your precious eyes, 3 weeks will go by in a flash. x

sonia a. mascaro said...

I am so glad that the surgery was a success, dear Terry!
Did you know that my sister did
cataract surgery last month and she feels exactly you did. She was amazed with the vivid colors and everything is so much brighter and lighter!
Wishing you a lovely week. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad and surprised you're already able to blog again, Dear Terry! Best of luck in having a complete, swift recovery. Love, your brother Joe

Laura @ Bit by Bit said...

Glad the surgery went well!