Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nature's Wonders

I wonder about our barn swallows.  This is the first year we've had them.  It's also the year of the flies.  Did they somehow know there would be ample food this year?  Or do we live so far out in the country that it took them 2 years to find us (tee-hee-hee)?  Regardless, 2 weeks ago little Emma and I watched momma barn swallow clean shells out of her nest.  How tiny they are.
Now the babies are showing their big faces.

I wonder about the water beetle in the stock tank.  Where did he come from?  Sure, they can fly short distances, but how did he find his way to our stock tank?  I catch him in a little cup when I clean the tank, then let him go again.  His name is Ringo - he swims round and round in his little cup and he's a beetle.  Silly, but there you have it.
They are tiny wonders of nature, but wonders none the less.
 

11 comments:

Funder said...

LOL @ Ringo.

My next door neighbor has the swallow nest, but they come visit my bugs. I love watching them! Had no idea how tiny the eggs are :)

Sharon said...

We have a couple of swallow nests in the lean-to shed, those birds are a comin' and a goin' all day long!

I never saw any of the shells, pretty small alright!

Janet said...

Terry you are so kind hearted -that last bit made me smile you coming to the rescue of a bug ! lol xx

Alison said...

Maybe Ringo was supposed to be swallow dinner and wriggled free at the last moment, as he saw the stock tank flash by?

Well, you know...it could happen, I suppose. ;)

fromsophiesview said...

A robin decided to nest in our grape arbour but alas the squirrels did them in...so sad! Any word on Conry?

Louise said...

I love that you rescue Ringo when you clean the tank. It makes me smile that such good people exist in the world.

Jim said...

Nice that you even 'notice' these creatures, Terry! So many of us take them for granted....they are all part of the big picture.

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Funny how you notice these wonderful little creatures on your daily rountine. My Swallows are now with their second clutches ! lots of flies here too, and I also have water beetles...I have often wondered how they find their way in too, I also lift them out ans rescue them back in the troughs....funny that isn't it !.......and we are thousands of miles away....doing similar things !........its nice to know that there are people like us, all over the world...probably doing the same !.......Jayne

Once Upon an Equine said...

This is our 2nd year hosting barn swallows. While they are very messy (horses often have bird poop on their backs), we sure enjoy watching them. The babies are out flying with their parents during the day now. I anxiously count them all when they return to the barn at night. I'm relieved when I find the whole family of 7 has returned safely for the night. Soon, I expect the parents will start on the 2nd batch of eggs. Have fun watching them.

And I totally understand about naming the water beetle Ringo. :-)

in2paints said...

Lilly's barn is full of barn swallows! I always worry about the baby birds falling out of the nest and into the stalls.

Ringo is a lucky beetle!! :)

Dreaming said...

Awwww..... you are so kind hearted!
But I totally agree with you.... how did that beetle get there?!